Thursday, 20 June 2013

Book Review - Acrros the Baracades

In English we had to pick out a book from a choice of five and, as I was late ( nothing new there) this book was the only option. And oh my god it is AMAZING.
The book , by Joan Linguard, was the second in the series.i have not read the first so do not worry!
The storyline: it is set in Belfast , where soldiers patrol the streets and everyone fears the IRA. So it would be impossible for Sadie ( Protestant) and Kevin ( Catholic) to go out. The book is about them trying to make it work and the consequences they face.
As a reader, I was intrigued to read this because this dilema could easily happen. It happened to my mum ( she's irish) and my Grandma said if she married the Catholic she was going out with at the time she would not go to the wedding. They did break up.
Anyhoo , at times in the story you thought that their relationship would keep going and no complications but then a bombshell ( well , actually a bomb) would drop. There were sorrowful moments and perfectly romantic ones too. The story is relatableand it carries on throught . There was never a point where I was bored. It wasnt a hard book to read either :)
Overall, I am SO glad I got to read this, I would highly recommend it to teens and adults because the story is touching. It covers violence, murder, love, hope, family , freindship and differences.


xxxxxx p.s thanks for following ( please do) or commenting. Keep them coming!

6 comments:

  1. I've never come across this book, sounds good x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best, most people who read it liked it but even if they didnt, they said it was not boring x

      Delete
  2. It sounds kind of like 'Noughts & Crosses' except N&C is set in a dystopian society, not Belfast! Sounds brilliant though, may look out for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is! But it is not as intense as noughts and crosses. You definitely should! :) x

      Delete
  3. i wonder if bookstores in indonesia has this. thanks for recommending!


    FASHION GEEK'S CLOSET

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog, I love yours! x

      Delete

Love reading all your lovely comments! I reply to all comments I receive and try to reply asap.