Saturday, 27 July 2013

Camp David Book Review

Sorry I have not posted today, I didn't want to post all my ideas for my blog and then run out. Also I was traveling home today so I felt a bit tired haha. 
       I did a book review a while back and I think ( well, hope) you enjoyed it so I'm doing another one. Camp David is David Walliams' Autobiography. I was keen to read this , as I had heard lots of comedians autobiographies were interesting and funny ( Miranda Hart, Michael Mccintyre) . Unfortunately , Walliams' is not written in a funny way.  I assumed it would be because David is funny in and out of character ( for example Rowan Atkinson is hilarious whilst acting, but serious in interviews) . 
        The book goes from Walliams' childhood right til after the 1st series of Little Britain was released. It discusses family troubles, being uncool and 'gay' at school, sexual experiences , uni life,   Struggling as an actor, meeting Matt Lucas, writing for tv shows, previous tv shows before little Britain , suicide attempts ,  being in a clinic, ex girlfriends and finally Little Britain.  In my opinion it is quite a depressing book! There is never a time where something sad has happened. Obviously I feel for David and its awful everything he thought, but it put me in a sad, heavy mood every time I stopped reading it. 
     The book includes Davids old Diary entries of at the time of events in the book. That is an interesting twist but I got bored after reading a paragraph of one so whenever one came up, I skipped it. 
      There are pages of the book which just describe him feeling suicidal, being depressed, how life was ' a black hole' and like I said, its so upsetting he felt like this but I wanted to read this as some light hearted account! 
       I am sorry to say but I did not enjoy this book at all. If you , like I did, are expecting a funny take on Mr Walliams life , you will be unpleasantly surprised! There is the odd joke and some parts of the book are interesting to know, but it is still a heavy book to read. If you are a die hard Little Britain/David Walliams/Come Fly With Me fan then ( you have probably already read it ha) you might want to read this book , but if, like me, you find both shows funny and you like David Walliams, you might find it interesting, but you will not necessarily enjoy the book. Sorry David , but no :( 

I hope you enjoyed this post and found the review useful. Obviously if you disagree, thats cool! Also my second post on Onys blog went up, be sure to check them out! http://anonymousony.blogspot.co.uk/   
Byeeeee xxx




4 comments:

  1. I haven't read David's book but if you're looking for a funny autobiography I'd recommend Michael McIntyre's. It had me laughing the whole way through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have heard good things about his!

      Delete
    2. Hey Phoebs I was wondering if you'd like to E-mail with me so we could get to know each other better. If not don't worry. If you'd like to, please comment on my blog and I'll get back to you x

      Delete
    3. Just send me and email ( on the contact page of my blog) I'll look forward to hearing from you! :)

      Delete

Love reading all your lovely comments! I reply to all comments I receive and try to reply asap.