Wednesday, 13 August 2014

The Fall of Magazines: My opinion

Hey! Its phoebs :) 

      I love magazines. Literally, I will spend many days pouring over Companys new edition. As I want to be involoved with fashion when I am older, a hobby of mine is cutting out clothes I like from magazines and sticking them in a little notebook. However, this will not be happening for much longer it seems, as magazines are loosing popularity at an alarming rate. Company is a favourite of mine. It has great relationships with many bloggers, I really get inspired when I see how many bloggers feature in their magazines. I love all their articles, it is a real mix of fashion and beauty. Much to my dismay however, company will be going online after their october issue is released. *sobs to myself*. 



       Company is not the only magazine to have stopped releasing print. Bliss Magazine was a teen mag which I used to love. I found out that the last ever issue was published in June. Also, lots of irish teen bloggers were upset to find out that an irish teen magazine, KISS, would not be publishing anymore. I am now quite interested as to why magazines are on a downward spiral. 
      
      Magazines were originally great for articles aimed at a spefic audience, for example fashion magazines or sport magazines. This used to be peoples main source for news on this topic. Now however, all over the internet there are blogs and websites, all on different subjects, which are free to access and easy to find. Magazine content is not getting worse by any means, but the internet there will be hundreds of articles on the topic someone is looking for, so everyone can find something in which they will enjoy to read. 

      When I am older, I would like to work in the fashion and beauty industry. Ideally I would love to be a fashion journalist or a fashion/beauty editor. However, these jobs will increasingly become less common due to magazines lack of succes. Of course fashion journalism will continue online however I would love to see my article in print, instead of on a screen. 

      The future for magazines in general is not looking good. I suppose technically I am not helping the situation by having a blog haha. But think about it: you might love magazines to death, but with the internet full of millions of articles on everything without spending money, which will become more popular? 

      I hope you enjoyed this post and found it interesting. I would love to know your opinion on this subject, comment/email/tweet me! Whats your favourite magazine? I would love to know :) 
Goodbye!x
P.s i will continue to read company online, but if anyone knows any other fashion and beauty mags in the uk similar to company, I would love to know. 

6 comments:

  1. I've bought the same two magazines and I love them!:)
    I#ve nominated you for the Liebster Award, here is my link: http://mariellasblog.blogspot.de/2014/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for nominating me! I have already done the tag, but I do keep note of who has tagged me, so I might answer your questions in a post soon :) x

      Delete
  2. I'm really hoping magazines stick around, I find them a great way to wind down and take a break from staring at a screen

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, the simplicity of paper and print seems to be a luxury these days x

      Delete
  3. I definitely miss magazines! I've had a binder of magazine tear-outs for at least a decade, but probably closer of 12 years! I used to subscribe to everything, but now I only get magazines when I can snag them for free (yay, online deals!) or when I've run out of reading material at the airport! Pinterest and online editions are great, but there's something about the feeling of holding an actual physical magazine and turning real pages that I just can't totally give up!
    : signe : the daily savant :

    Bohemian Silver Necklace Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow thats pretty amazing! Haha =D magazines are a must for me when on flights/car journeys. Yeah I feel the same way :) xx

      Delete

Love reading all your lovely comments! I reply to all comments I receive and try to reply asap.